The IREE Matching Grant Program is closed. IREE is no longer accepting applications for this program. Please contact the IREE Grants Team at IREE@umn.edu with questions.
The intent of IREE matching funds is to leverage significant new or expanded efforts among University of Minnesota researchers and external partners. These matching grant funds are not intended to maintain current, on-going operations or programs and are not available when the external funds do not go through SPA. Project teams are directed to consider IREE’s mission and core values and the limitations of IREE’s current funding source in the development of these proposals.
Because external grants are well vetted, IREE does not require a separate peer review process to approve matching grants. Also, there is no established “call” for matching grants. Each request is reviewed by the Grants Team as they come in.
Matching Grant Application Process and Documents
All proposal documents are required at the time of submission. Principal investigators should plan on submiting their matching grant proposal no less than 3 days prior to the SPA submission deadline to allow the IREE Grants Team time to review their proposal. Proposals that are received outside of this time frame may not be considered.
All Matching Grant proposals should be emailed to the IREE Grants Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Conditions & Criteria
1) Should be developed by project teams from multiple disciplines and/or external partnerships,
2) Project Principal Investigator must have a University of Minnesota salaried appointment and the majority of IREE matching funds must remain within the University of Minnesota;
3) May be used to leverage investments from private/industrial partners, from federal/state agencies, or other institutions;
4) Requests for IREE matching funds will only be considered prior to the submission of a proposal to the external funding entity.
5) Proposals must be submitted electronically in Word (doc or docx) format to the IREE Grants Team at email@example.com. Paper copies will not be accepted.
6) Incomplete proposals will not be considered (see proposal requirements).
7) All awarded matching grants are expected to adhere to the IREE Conditions of Award. Failure to meet the conditions of award may result in the termination of IREE funding for the project.
1) For grant proposals that the external funding organization does not require a cost-share IREE will not provide a match unless significant justification is provided for the significance of the IREE matching funds.
2) For grants where the university will receive the full ICR – IREE funds will not exceed 10% of the U of M’s total direct costs and not exceed 50% of the institutional cost share. The total requested matching funds from IREE can not exceed $50,000.
3) For grants where the university will NOT receive the full ICR – IREE funds may not exceed 20% of the U of M total direct costs and 50% of the institutional cost share. The total requested matching funds from IREE can not exceed $50,000.
4) For matching grant proposals where the research is already being funded by IREE for the Principal Investigator through a Large, Early Career or Seed grant the existing grant dollars will be utilized for the matching request unless significant justification for new funds is approved by the IREE Director.
5) Investigators will be encouraged to use appropriate and current IREE funding that is unspent as a cost share prior to requesting additional matching dollars.